This chicken taco soup is so easy yet hearty. Just throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker in the morning before heading out the door for work, and let it cook for you all-day. Serve this topped with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if you like.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 hours
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 (16 oz) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel or diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- fat free sour cream (optional topping)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Place the chopped onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.
- Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.
- Set slow cooker for Low Heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and shred them using 2 forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.
- Serve topped with cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.